[openstack-dev] [nova] locked instances and snaphot

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:56:22 UTC 2014

On 06/18/2014 07:43 PM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> Duncan Thomas
> On Jun 18, 2014 9:51 PM, "Jay Pipes" <jaypipes at gmail.com
> <mailto:jaypipes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>  > VMs should be cattle, not pets, but yes, a locked instance should be
> able to be snapshotted, for sure, IMO.
>
> Shooting all your cattle by accident is bad y'know, and you're a cattle
> farmer will probably put you out of business...

You are missing the point on this Duncan :) The point of treating VMs as
cattle and not pets is that you don't care about any particular VM...
they can be killed and respun and the architecture of the application --
i.e. the way you handle state, load balancing, replication of block
data, etc -- is designed to handle such failures.

We should not be catering our roadmap to features designed to treat
customers like little children that constantly need to be watched over, IMO.

> The effort you've put
> into raising them has a none-zero cost, and if you keep using them for
> target practice then some other farmer is going to be selling cheaper
> beef than you...

Actually, raising them has a close-to-zero cost in a utility cloud
model, which is the point of it all...

Best,
-jay