[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Translating log and exception messages in Oslo libraries

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Fri Jun 20 13:09:38 UTC 2014

Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'm not sure we've ever discussed this before, but I had previously
> figured that we shouldn't translate log and exception messages in
> oslo.messaging.
>
> My thinking is:
>
>   - it seems like an odd thing for a library to do, I don't know of
>     examples of other libraries doing this .. but I haven't gone
>     looking
>
>   - it involves a dependency on oslo.i18n
>
>   - more than just marking strings for translation and using
>     gettextutils, you also need to set up the infrastructure for pushing
>     the .pot files to transifex, pulling the .po files from .transifex
>     and installing the .mo files at install time

In addition, you will have a fun time when people submit their logs to
you in a language you cannot understand :)

You can of course map the log back to the English string via the .po
file, but it's an extra step to go through when someone asks for help.

--
Martin Geisler

http://google.com/+MartinGeisler