[openstack-dev] [nova][vmware] Future of Vim and PBM in Nova: summary of IRC discussion

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 10:47:42 UTC 2014

For anybody who missed it, we discussed the following 2 outstanding
reviews yesterday:

vmwareapi oslo.vmware library integration
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/70175/

VMware: initial support for SPBM
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/66666/

The issue is that oslo.vmware already contains nascent support for SPBM,
so these are really 2 patches trying to achieve the same thing by
different, incompatible means.

After some discussion, we agreed that we would abandon the Nova SPBM
patch to concentrate on the oslo.vmware patch. This patch has
languished, but Vui is going to bring it up to date. It also has an
approved BP.

We also agreed that we only want 1 refactor review queue. As the
oslo.vmware patch touches so much code, it inevitably conflicts with the
spawn refactor. Therefore we will either rebase oslo.vmware on to the
spawn refactor, or vice versa. As both patch sets are primarily on Vui,
he will make the call about which is least disruptive.

Radoslav has identified some non-disruptive cleanup work which he
originally put into the Nova SPBM patch. He will now move this into
oslo.vmware. This cleanup will be 100% backwards compatible, requiring
no client updates whatsoever to continue working.

We also need to add some additional features to SPBM support in
oslo.vmware. These will be added, ensuring they don't impact any
existing Vim users, and the oslo.vmware version bumped.

I am continuing to advocate a significant rewrite of the Vim API.
However, as we aren't proposing any backwards incompatible changes at
the moment there is no current incentive to bring this forward.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490