[openstack-dev] [neutron][group-based-policy] GP mapping driver

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 07:27:38 UTC 2014

GP should support applying policy on exist openstack deployment, so neither
implicit mapping nor intercepting works well.

maybe the explicit associating model is best: associate EPG with exist
neutron network object (policy automatically applied to all ports on it),
or with single port object (policy applied only on this port). By this way
GP will be more loosely coupled with Neutron core than the spec sample:
boot vm from a grand-new EP object, which need rewrite nova vif-plug, and
only support new deployment. It is suitable to put GP in orchestration
layer, etc, Heat, without bothering nova code. Boot vm from EPG can be
interpreted by ochestration with: 1) create port from network associated
with EGP; 2) boot nova from port.  In the future we may also need a unified
abstract policy template across compute/stroage/network.

And, it's not a good idea to intercept neutron port create api for
implicitly EP binding(I don't know if this has been removed now), for it
severely break the hierarchy relationship between GP and neutron core. the
link from GP wiki to an ODL page clearly shows that GP should be layered on
top of both neutron and ODL(1st graph).

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/Project_Proposals:Application_Policy_Plugin#Relationship_with_OpenStack.2FNeutron_Policy_Model
(this link has hidden all picture from this week so I have to give the
google cache)