[openstack-dev] [Heat] fine grained quotas

Randall Burt randall.burt at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Jun 19 22:21:14 UTC 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> I was made aware of the following blueprint today:
>
> http://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/add-quota-api-for-heat
> http://review.openstack.org/#/c/96696/14
>
> Before this goes much further.. I want to suggest that this work be
> cancelled, even though the code looks excellent. The reason those limits
> are in the config file is that these are not billable items and they
> have a _tiny_ footprint in comparison to the physical resources they
> will allocate in Nova/Cinder/Neutron/etc.
>
> IMO we don't need fine grained quotas in Heat because everything the
> user will create with these templates will cost them and have its own
> quota system. The limits (which I added) are entirely to prevent a DoS
> of the engine.

What's more, I don't think this is something we should expose via API other than to perhaps query what those quota values are. It is possible that some provider would want to bill on number of stacks, etc (I personally agree with Clint here), it seems that is something that could/should be handled external to Heat itself.