[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Driver] Delete snapshot

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Jun 19 15:46:01 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Amit Das <amit.das at cloudbyte.com> wrote:

> Hi Stackers,
>
> I have been implementing a Cinder driver for our storage solution & facing
> issues with below scenario.
>
> Scenario - When a user/admin tries to delete a snapshot that has
> associated clone(s), an error message/log should be shown to the user
> stating that '*There are clones associated to this snapshot. Hence,
> snapshot cannot be deleted*'.

​What's the use model of "clones associated with the snapshot"?  What are
these "clones" from a Cinder perspective.  Easy answer is: don't create
them, but I realize you probably have a cool feature or optimization that
you're trying to leverage here.​

> Implementation issues - If Cinder driver throws an Exception the snapshot
> will have error_deleting status & will not be usable. If Cinder driver logs
> the error silently then Openstack will probably mark the snapshot as
> deleted.

​So as others point out, from a Cinder perspective this is what I/we would
expect.

Scott made some really good points, but the point is we do not want to
behave differently for every single driver.  The agreed upon mission for
Cinder is to actually provide a consistent API and set of behaviors to end
users regardless of what backend device they're using (in other words that
should remain pretty much invisible to the end-user).

What do you use the Clones of the Snapshot for?  Maybe we can come up with
another approach that works and keeps consistency in the API.