[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Backwards compatibility policy for our projects

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:11:30 UTC 2014

On 19 June 2014 10:01, Giulio Fidente <gfidente at redhat.com> wrote:

> From a the 10.000 feet view, I can imagine people relying on a stable API
> for services like Cinder but I don't see how that applies to TripleO
>
> Why should one try to install an older version of OpenStack using some
> 'recent' version TripleO?
>
> The only scenario which comes up to my mind is the 'upgrade' process where
> undercloud and overcloud could get 'out of sync', yet this seems to have a
> pretty limited scope.
>
> A genuine question from a 'wannabe' TripleO contributor, do you see others?
> many others?

There are companies (e.g. HP) who're trying to ship products based on
TripleO. This means a) elements that are not upstreamed because they
install proprietary / value-add code b) elements that are carrying
changes that are not yet merged upstream because the velocity of
upstream is very low. While I'm not suggesting you should bend over
backwards to accommodate such users, some consideration is a
reasonable expectation I think, particularly for (a).