[openstack-dev] [nova] A modest proposal to reduce reviewer load

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Wed Jun 18 16:43:52 UTC 2014

Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com> writes:

> On 06/18/2014 08:35 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
>> On 18 June 2014 15:28, Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> The answer is not always more
>>> review: there are other tools in the box. Imagine we spent 50% of the
>>> time we spend on review writing tempest tests instead.
>>
>> Or we push the work off of core into the wider community and require
>> 100% unit test coverage of every change *and* record the tempest
>> coverage of any changed lines so that the reviewer can gauge better
>> what the risks are?
>
> 100% coverage is not realistic.

I was thinking the same, but there are actually some non-trivial
projects that have 100% code coverage in their tests. These are two
large projects that I know of:

* http://www.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/about: "Every release of
  Pyramid has 100% statement coverage via unit tests"

* http://www.sqlite.org/testing.html: "100% branch test coverage in an
  as-deployed configuration"

Whether 100% test coverage is worth is it another question. People
sometimes confuse "100% test coverage" with "100% bug free", which is
just wrong.

--
Martin Geisler

http://google.com/+MartinGeisler