[openstack-dev] [metrics] How to group activity in git/gerrit repositories

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 18 09:28:06 UTC 2014

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On 06/16/2014 12:25 PM, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
>> Most of groups are created from the official programs
>> <http://programs.yaml>.yaml. Every program turns into item in the module
>> list (colored in violet), for example 'Nova Compute' is a group
>> containing 'nova', 'python-novaclient' and 'nova-specs'. Every type of
>> repo (integrated, incubated and others) turns into the project type, for
>> example 'integrated' type would contain all modules for a chosen release.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that, I suspected that was the case. I don't think
> it makes much sense to count the *-specs repositories together with code
> in the program but probably they don't move the needle that much. In any
> case, I'm having specs not counted on Activity Board.

It all depends on the analysis you want to make, but counting -specs in
the same bucket as main code is not completely weird. Before specs
existed we would just have extra review iterations (or additional
patches) due to lack of upfront design. Now we formally design first,
but that's an integral part of feature development and it involves the
same group of people.

> I also am not fully convinced that the clients and their parent project
> should be counted together as I suspect different set of people work on
> them and they have different behavior. Again, the difference may be too
> small to justify adding complexity to the reports but I would like to
> see that difference quantified precisely first.

People working on clients are arguably a subset of people working on
main code, but they live under the same roof with the same big daddy. We
have been considering moving all client projects under a specific client
tools program though, so having a way to analyze their behavior
separately surely will help as a data point.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)