[openstack-dev] [nova] A modest proposal to reduce reviewer load

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jun 18 09:04:15 UTC 2014

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 08:20 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>> Yes, that would be a workable idea.
>>
>>> +1. If possible I'd update the query to filter out anything with a -1.
>>>
>>> Where do we document these things? I'd be happy to propose a docs update.
>>
>> Lets see if any other nova cores dissent, but then can add it to these 2
>> wiki pages
>>
>>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReviewChecklist
>>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Including_external_references
>
> Seems reasonable to me.
>
> Of course, I just hope it doesn't put reviewers in a mode of only
> looking for the trivial stuff and helping less with the big stuff.

As an aside, we don't really need two core reviewers to bless a trivial
change: one could be considered sufficient. So a patch marked as trivial
which has a number of +1s could be +2/APRVed directly by a core reviewer.

That would slightly reduce load on core reviewers, although I suspect
most of the time is spent on complex patches, and trivial patches do not
take that much time to process (or could even be seen as a nice break
from more complex patch reviewing).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)