[openstack-dev] [Nova][QA] Disabling the v3 API tests in the gate

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Tue Jun 17 19:12:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:10:23PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 06/12/2014 12:02 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> >> That's why I wasn't proposing that we rip the tests out of the tree.
> >> I'm just
> >> trying to weigh the benefit of leaving them enabled on every run against
> >> the increased load they cause in an arguably overworked gate.

> >> The scenario tests tend to be the slower tests in tempest. I have to
> >> disagree
> >> that removing them would have lower impact. The scenario tests provide
> >> the best
> >> functional verification, which is part of the reason we always have
> >> failures in
> >> the gate on them. While it would make the gate faster the decrease in
> >> what were
> >> testing isn't worth it. Also, for reference I pulled the test run
> >> times that
> >> were greater than 10sec out of a recent gate run:
> >> http://paste.openstack.org/show/83827/
> >>
> >> The experimental jobs aren't automatically run, they have to be manually
> >> triggered by leaving a 'check experimental' comment. So for changes
> >> that we want
> >> to test the v3 api on a comment would have to left. To prevent
> >> regression is why
> >> we'd also have the nightly job, which I think is a better compromise
> >> for the v3
> >> tests while we wait to migrate them to the v2.1 microversion tests.
> >>
> >> Another, option is that we make the v3 job run only on the check queue
> >> and not
> >> on the gate. But the benefits of that are slightly more limited,
> >> because we'd
> >> still be holding up the check queue.
> >>
> >> -Matt Treinish

> > Yeah the scenario tests need to stay, that's how we've exposed the two
> > big ssh bugs in the last couple of weeks which are obvious issues at scale.
> >
> > I still think experimental/periodic is the way to go, not a hybrid of
> > check-on/gate-off.  If we want to explicitly test v3 API changes we can
> > do that with 'recheck experimental'.  Granted someone has to remember to
> > run those, much like checking/rechecking 3rd party CI results.
> >
> > One issue I've had with the nightly periodic job is finding out where
> > the results are in an easy to consume format.  Is there something out
> > there for that?  I'm thinking specifically of things we've turned off in
> > the gate before like multi-backend volume tests and
> > allow_tenant_isolation=False.
>
> It's getting emailed to the otherwise defunct openstack-qa list.
> Subscribe there for nightlies.
>
> Also agreed, the scenario tests find and prevent *tons* of real issues.
> Those have to stay. There is a reason we use them in the smoke runs for
> grenade, they are a very solid sniff test of real working.
>
> I also think by policy we should probably pull v3 out of the main job,
> as it's not a stable API. We've had issues in Tempest with people
> landing tests, then trying to go and change the API. The biggest issue
> [...]

So after having the follow up conversation to this thread during last week's QA
meeting I pushed out the patches to disable the v3 API tests by default, and
make running those tests configurable from devstack-gate. They're working their
way through the gate now. The only outstanding patch is the one that adds the
v3 API jobs to the experimental and periodic pipelines here:

https://review.openstack.org/99835

-Matt Treinish