[openstack-dev] [nova] Reducing quota below utilisation

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Jun 17 18:18:06 UTC 2014

We have some projects which are dynamically creating VMs up to their quota. Under some circumstances, as cloud administrators, we would like these projects to shrink and make room for other higher priority work.

We had investigated setting the project quota below the current utilisation (i.e. effectively delete only, no create). This will eventually match the desired level of VMs as the dynamic workload leads to old VMs being deleted and new ones cannot be created.

However, OpenStack does not allow a quota to be set to below the current usage.

This seems a little restrictive ... any thoughts from others ?

Tim