[openstack-dev] [taskflow] Recommendations for the granularity of tasks and their "stickiness" to workers

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 10:01:17 UTC 2014

Folks,

A question for the taskflow ninjas.

Any thoughts on best practice WRT $subject?

Specifically I have in mind this ceilometer review[1] which adopts
the approach of using very fine-grained tasks (at the level of an
individual alarm evaluation) combined with short-term assignments
to individual workers.

But I'm also thinking of future potential usage of taskflow within
ceilometer, to support partitioning of work over a scaled-out array
of central agents.

Does taskflow also naturally support a model whereby more chunky
tasks (possibly including ongoing periodic work) are assigned to
workers in a stickier fashion, such that re-balancing of workload
can easily be triggered when a change is detected in the pool of
available workers?

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] https://review.openstack.org/91763