[openstack-dev] revert hacking to 0.8 series

Angus Salkeld angus.salkeld at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Jun 16 21:54:52 UTC 2014

On 17/06/14 02:46, Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 06/16/2014 08:37 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Sean Dague wrote:
>>> Hacking 0.9 series was released pretty late for Juno. The entire
>>> check queue was flooded this morning with requirements proposals
>>> failing pep8 because of it (so at 6am EST we were waiting 1.5 hrs
>>> for a check node).
>>>
>>> The previous soft policy with pep8 updates was that we set a
>>> pep8 version basically release week, and changes stopped being
>>> done for style after first milestone.
>>>
>>> I think in the spirit of that we should revert the hacking
>>> requirements update back to the 0.8 series for Juno. We're past
>>> milestone 1, so shouldn't be working on style only fixes at this
>>> point.
>>>
>>> Proposed review here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100231/
>>>
>>> I also think in future hacking major releases need to happen
>>> within one week of release, or not at all for that series.
>
>> We may also have reached a size where changing style rules is just
>> too costly, whatever the moment in the cycle. I think it's good
>> that we have rules to enforce a minimum of common style, but the
>> added value of those extra rules is limited, while their impact on
>> the common gate grows as we add more projects.
>
> A few thoughts:
>
> 1) I disagree with the proposition that hacking updates can only
> happen in the first week after release.  I get that there needs to be
> a cutoff, but I don't think one week is reasonable.  Even if we
> release in the first week, you're still going to be dealing with
> hacking updates for the rest of the cycle as projects adopt the new
> rules at their leisure.  I don't like retroactively applying milestone
> 1 as a cutoff either, although I could see making that the policy
> going forward.

Can't we move to a mode of enabling rules instead of ignoring them?
If we did this in tox.ini then it wouldn't matter when you release
hacking.

[hacking]
errors = H306,...
ignore = H101

So if you upgraded hacking you would not get the new checks generating
errors, but only warnings.

I guess the list of rules to error on would get big, but maybe we could have
some short cuts (H3*,H2*)?

At least the projects are a bit more in control of what rule they add.

- -Angus