[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Use MariaDB by default on Fedora

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jun 16 21:14:50 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Gregory Haynes's message of 2014-06-16 14:04:19 -0700:
> Excerpts from Jan Provazník's message of 2014-06-16 20:28:29 +0000:
> > Hi,
> > MariaDB is now included in Fedora repositories, this makes it easier to
> > install and more stable option for Fedora installations. Currently
> > MariaDB can be used by including mariadb (use mariadb.org pkgs) or
> > mariadb-rdo (use redhat RDO pkgs) element when building an image. What
> > do you think about using MariaDB as default option for Fedora when
> > running devtest scripts?

(first, I believe Jan means that MariaDB _Galera_ is now in Fedora)

> Id like to give this a try. This does start to change us from being a
> deployment of openstck to being a deployment per distro but IMO thats a
> reasonable position.
>
> Id also like to propose that if we decide against doing this then these
> elements should not live in tripleo-image-elements.

I'm not so sure I agree. We have lio and tgt because lio is on RHEL but
everywhere else is still using tgt IIRC.

However, I also am not so sure that it is actually a good idea for people
to ship on MariaDB since it is not in the gate. As it diverges from MySQL
(starting in earnest with 10.x), there will undoubtedly be subtle issues
that arise. So I'd say having MariaDB get tested along with Fedora will
actually improve those users' test coverage, which is a good thing.