[openstack-dev] Rethink how we manage projects? (was Gate proposal - drop Postgresql configurations in the gate)

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Jun 16 18:26:34 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 03:33 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> David Kranz wrote:
>> [...]
>> There is a different way to do this. We could adopt the same methodology
>> we have now around gating, but applied to each project on its own
>> branch. These project branches would be integrated into master at some
>> frequency or when some new feature in project X is needed by project Y.
>> Projects would want to pull from the master branch often, but the push
>> process would be less frequent and run a much larger battery of tests
>> than we do now.
>
> So we would basically discover the cross-project bugs when we push to
> the "master master" branch. I think you're just delaying discovery of
> the most complex issues, and push the responsibility to resolve them
> onto a inexistent set of people. Adding integration branches only makes
> sense if you have an integration team. We don't have one, so we'd call
> back on the development teams to solve the same issues... with a delay.
>
> In our specific open development setting, delaying is bad because you
> don't have a static set of developers that you can assume will be on
> call ready to help with what they have written a few months later:
> shorter feedback loops are key to us.

On the other hand, I've had fairly trivial changes wait for a week to be
merged because it failed multiple separate testcases that were totally
unrelated to the change I was making.

If I'm making a change that is entirely contained within nova, it seems
really unfortunate that a buggy commit in neutron or cinder can block my
commit from being merged.

Chris