[openstack-dev] revert hacking to 0.8 series

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 18:23:05 UTC 2014

On Jun 16, 2014 9:44 AM, "Ben Nemec" <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 06/16/2014 08:37 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Sean Dague wrote:
> >> Hacking 0.9 series was released pretty late for Juno. The entire
> >> check queue was flooded this morning with requirements proposals
> >> failing pep8 because of it (so at 6am EST we were waiting 1.5 hrs
> >> for a check node).

This is a general issue with global requirements, the number of jobs we run
and the number of available nodes. Let's solve the general case.

> >> The previous soft policy with pep8 updates was that we set a
> >> pep8 version basically release week, and changes stopped being
> >> done for style after first milestone.
> >>
> >> I think in the spirit of that we should revert the hacking
> >> requirements update back to the 0.8 series for Juno. We're past
> >> milestone 1, so shouldn't be working on style only fixes at this
> >> point.
> >>
> >> Proposed review here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100231/
> >>
> >> I also think in future hacking major releases need to happen
> >> within one week of release, or not at all for that series.
> >
> > We may also have reached a size where changing style rules is just
> > too costly, whatever the moment in the cycle. I think it's good
> > that we have rules to enforce a minimum of common style, but the
> > added value of those extra rules is limited, while their impact on
> > the common gate grows as we add more projects.
>
> A few thoughts:
>
> 1) I disagree with the proposition that hacking updates can only
> happen in the first week after release.  I get that there needs to be
> a cutoff, but I don't think one week is reasonable.  Even if we
> release in the first week, you're still going to be dealing with
> hacking updates for the rest of the cycle as projects adopt the new
> rules at their leisure.  I don't like retroactively applying milestone
> 1 as a cutoff either, although I could see making that the policy
> going forward.

++

> 2) Given that most of the changes involved in fixing the new failures
> are trivial, I think we should encourage combining the fixes into one
> commit.  We _really_ don't need separate commits to fix H305 and H307.
>  This doesn't help much with the reviewer load, but it should reduce
> the gate load somewhat.  It violates the one change-one commit rule,
> but "A foolish consistency..."

++

> 3) We should start requiring specs for all new hacking rules to make
> sure we have consensus (I think oslo-specs is the place for this).  2
> +2's doesn't really accomplish that.  We also may need to raise the
> bar for inclusion of new rules - while I agree with all of the new
> ones added in hacking .9, I wonder if some of them are really necessary.

I would rather just have more folks review hacking patches then add a specs
repo. A specs repo is overkill, IMHO, hacking doesn't have that many
patches per cycle. In general when adding a rule to hacking it has to
already be in HACKING.rst and/or needs a ML post.