[openstack-dev] revert hacking to 0.8 series

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jun 16 13:37:21 UTC 2014

Sean Dague wrote:
> Hacking 0.9 series was released pretty late for Juno. The entire check
> queue was flooded this morning with requirements proposals failing pep8
> because of it (so at 6am EST we were waiting 1.5 hrs for a check node).
>
> The previous soft policy with pep8 updates was that we set a pep8
> version basically release week, and changes stopped being done for style
> after first milestone.
>
> I think in the spirit of that we should revert the hacking requirements
> update back to the 0.8 series for Juno. We're past milestone 1, so
> shouldn't be working on style only fixes at this point.
>
> Proposed review here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100231/
>
> I also think in future hacking major releases need to happen within one
> week of release, or not at all for that series.

We may also have reached a size where changing style rules is just too
costly, whatever the moment in the cycle. I think it's good that we have
rules to enforce a minimum of common style, but the added value of those
extra rules is limited, while their impact on the common gate grows as
we add more projects.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)