[openstack-dev] [oslo][messaging] Further improvements and refactoring

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 11:47:44 UTC 2014

On 06/13/2014 02:06 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 10/06/14 15:40, Alexei Kornienko wrote:
>> On 06/10/2014 03:59 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
 >>>
>>> I think there could be a lot of work required to significantly
>>> improve that driver, and I wonder if that would be better spent
>>> on e.g. the AMQP 1.0 driver which I believe will perform much
>>> better and will offer more choice in deployment.
 >>
>> I agree with you on this. However I'm not sure that we can do such
>> a decision. If we focus on amqp driver only we should mention it
>> explicitly and deprecate qpid driver completely. There is no point
>> in keeping driver that is not really functional.
>
> The driver is functional. It may be not that efficient as
> alternatives, but that's not a valid reason to deprecate it.

The question in my view is what the plan is for ongoing development.

Will the driver get better over time, or is it likely to remain as is at
best (or even deteriorate)?

Choice is good, but every choice adds to the maintenance burden, in
testing against regressions if nothing else.

I think an explicit decision about the future is beneficial, whatever
the decision may be.