[openstack-dev] An alternative approach to enforcing "expected election behaviour"

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 09:56:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 05:04:51AM -0400, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
> How about we rely instead on the values and attributes that
> actually make our community strong?
>
> Specifically: maturity, honesty, and a self-correcting nature.
>
> How about we simply require that each candidate for a TC or PTL
> election gives a simple undertaking in their self-nomination mail,
> along the lines of:
>
> "I undertake to respect the election process, as required by
> the community code of conduct.
>
> I also undertake not to engage in campaign practices that the
> community has considered objectionable in the past, including
> but not limited to, unsolicited mail shots and private campaign
> events.
>
> If my behavior during this election period does not live up to
> those standards, please feel free to call me out on it on this
> mailing list and/or withhold your vote."

I like this proposal because it focuses on the carrot rather than
the stick, which is ultimately better for community cohesiveness
IMHO. It is already part of our community ethos that we can call
people out to publically debate / stand up & justify any & all
issues affecting the project whether they be related to the code,
architecture, or non-technical issues such as electioneering
behaviour.

> We then rely on:
>
>   (a) the self-policing nature of an honest, open community
>
> and:
>
>   (b) the maturity and sound judgement within that community
>       giving us the ability to quickly spot and disregard any
>       frivolous reports of mis-behavior
>
> So no need for heavy-weight inquisitions, no need to interrupt the
> election process, no need for handing out of stiff penalties such
> as termination of membership.

Before jumping headlong for a big stick to whack people with, I think
I'd expect to see examples of problems we've actually faced (as opposed
to vague hypotheticals), and a clear illustration that a self-policing
approach to the community interaction failed to address them. I've not
personally seen/experianced any problems that are so severe that they'd
suggest we need the ability to kick someone out of the community for
sending email !

Regards,
Daniel