[openstack-dev] [nova] Do any hyperviors allow disk reduction as part of resize ?

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Mon Jun 16 09:34:58 UTC 2014

Beyond what is and isn’t technically possible at the file system level there is always the problem that the user may have more data than can fit into the reduced disk.

I don’t want to take away useful functionality from folks if there are cases where it already works – mostly I just want to improve the user experience, and  to me the biggest problem here is the current failure mode where the user can’t tell if the request has been tried and failed, or just not happened at all for some other reason.

What if we introduced a new state of “Resize_failed” from which the only allowed operations are “resize_revert” and delete – so the user can at least get some feedback on the cases that can’t be supported ?