[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Implementing new LBaaS API

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Sun Jun 15 21:26:21 UTC 2014

Regarding the two approaches outlines in the top post, I found out that the
bullet "This is API versioning done the wrong way" appears in both
approaches.
Is this a mistake or intentional?

>From what I gather, the most reasonable approach appears to be starting
with a clean slate, which means having a new API living side by side with
the old one.
I think the naming collision issues should probably be solved using
distinct namespaces for the two API (the old one has /v2/lbaas as a URI
prefix I think, I have hardly any idea about what namespace the new one
should have)

Finally, about deprecation - I see it's been agreed to deprecate the
current API in Juno.
I think this is not the right way of doing things. The limits of the
current API are pretty much universally agreed; on the other hand, it is
generally not advisable to deprecate an old API in favour of the new one at
the first iteration such API is published. My preferred strategy would be
to introduce the new API as experimental in the Juno release, so that in
can be evaluated, apply any feedback and consider for promoting in K - and
contextually deprecate the old API.

As there is quite a radical change between the old and the new model,
keeping the old API indefinitely is a maintenance burden we probably can't
afford, and I would therefore propose complete removal one release cycle
after deprecation. Also - since it seems to me that there is also consensus
regarding having load balancing move away into a separate project so that
it would not be tied anymore to the networking program, the old API is
pretty much just dead weight.

Salvatore