[openstack-dev] [Sahara][Swift] Swift integration with Apache Spark

Gil Vernik GILV at il.ibm.com
Sat Jun 14 17:03:36 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I would like to share with you about my recent efforts on the integration
between Swift and Apache Spark.
Spark  claims to have x100 faster map reduce analytics than conventional
Apache Hadoop. (http://spark.apache.org/ for more information about Spark)
Spark can read data from various sources, HDFS, S3, local file system,
various streaming sources.  Spark then used to perform analytics on this
data.

I started to work on the integration between Spark and Swift, allowing
Spark to integrate with Swift and perform data analytics on the objects
stored in Swift. In my local tests this works very well. There are no
modification needed for Swift.  I submitted patches to the Spark community
with information how to integrate it with Swift. This work is still in
progress.

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1010

All the best,
Gil Vernik.