[openstack-dev] [nova] Do any hyperviors allow disk reduction as part of resize ?

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Fri Jun 13 15:24:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014, Andrew Laski <andrew.laski at rackspace.com> wrote:

> On 06/13/2014 10:53 AM, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> >>+1 for consistency.
> >+1 for having written the code for the xenapi driver and not wishing
> >that on anyone else :)
>
> I'm also +1.  But this is a feature that's offered by some cloud
> providers so removing it may cause some pain even with a deprecation
> cycle.

Yeah, that's the hard part about this.

On the flip side, supporting it going forward will be a pain too.

The xenapi implementation only works on ext[234] filesystems. That rules
out *BSD, Windows and Linux distributions that don't use ext[234]. RHEL7
defaults to XFS for instance.

In some cases, we couldn't even support resize down (XFS doesn't support
it).

That is to go along with all of the other problems with resize down as
it currently stands.

JE