[openstack-dev] [Nova] Review guidelines for API patches

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 11:18:09 UTC 2014

Hi Phil,

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:28:30 +0000
"Day, Phil" <philip.day at hp.com> wrote:

> >The documentation is NOT the canonical source for the behaviour of
> >the API, currently the code should be seen as the reference. We've
> >run into issues before where people have tried to align code to the
> >fit the documentation and made backwards incompatible changes
> >(although this is not one).
>
> I’ve never seen this defined before – is this published as official
> Openstack  or Nova policy ?

Its not published, but not following this guideline has got us into
trouble before because we end up making backwards incompatible changes
to force the code to match the docs rather than the other way around.

The documentation historically has been generated manually by people
looking at the code and writing up what they think it does. NOTE: this
is not a reflection on the docs team - they have done an EXCELLENT job
based on what we've been giving them (just the api samples and the
code). Its very easy to get it wrong and its most often someone who has
not written the code who is writing the documentation and not familiar
with what was actually merged.

> Personally I think we should be putting as much effort into reviewing
> the API docs as we do API code so that we can say that the API docs
> are the canonical source for behavior.    Not being able to fix bugs
> in say input validation that escape code reviews because they break
> backwards compatibility seems to be a weakness to me.

+1 for people to go back through the v2 api docs and fix the
documentation where it is incorrect.

So our medium term goal (and this one the reasons behind wanting the
new v2.1/v3 infrastructure with json schema etc) is to be able to
properly automate the production of the documentation from the code. So
there is no contradiction between the two.

I agree we need to be able to fix bugs that result in backwards
incompatible changes. v2.1microversions should allow us to do that
cleanly as possible.

Chris