[openstack-dev] mysql/mysql-python license "contamination" into openstack?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 06:16:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 12:13 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for the community viewpoint on whether there is any chance
> of license contamination between mysql and nova.  I realize that lawyers
> would need to be involved for a proper ruling, but I'm curious about the
> view of the developers on the list.
>
> Suppose someone creates a modified openstack and wishes to sell it to
> others.  They want to keep their changes private.  They also want to use
> the mysql database.
>
> The concern is this:
>
> nova is apache licensed
> sqlalchemy is MIT licensed
> mysql-python (aka mysqldb1) is GPLv2 licensed
> mysql is GPLv2 licensed
>

> The concern is that since nova/sqlalchemy/mysql-python are all
> essentially linked together, an argument could be made that the work as
> a whole is a derivative work of mysql-python, and thus all the source
> code must be made available to anyone using the binary.
>
> Does this argument have any merit?
>
> Has anyone tested any of the mysql DBAPIs with more permissive licenses?

Thanks for bringing this up. I've forwarded the question to the
legal-discuss mailing list:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/legal-discuss/2014-June/000291.html

The general question of using GPL libraries is covered by:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LegalIssuesFAQ#Licensing_of_library_dependencies

But I'm not sure whether the specific question of mysql-python's license
has come up before.

Mark.