[openstack-dev] Gate proposal - drop Postgresql configurations in the gate

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 02:16:58 UTC 2014

On 6/12/2014 5:11 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>> We're definitely deep into capacity issues, so it's going to be time to
>> start making tougher decisions about things we decide aren't different
>> enough to bother testing on every commit.
>
> I think one of the criticisms that could be made about OpenStack at
> the moment is that we're not opinionated enough. We have a lot of bugs
> because we support huge numbers of drivers of varying quality and
> completeness. Do you think its time for the gate to be an opinionated
> set of tests of how OpenStack can be deployed? Perhaps we should gate
> on only one permutation of a possible OpenStack cloud, and then let
> people who want to propose deviations from that permutation run their
> own CI as third parties.
>
> I'm not particularly advocating this stance, but it is an option and
> I'd like to see it explored a bit more.
>
> Michael

Yeah was sort of thinking along the same lines - does any of the survey
data help here, i.e. what's the percentage of deployments using mysql vs
postgresql?

Another example is we want testing for Ceph/Rbd but I don't expect that
to be in the upstream CI/gate, I more or less expect that from some 3rd
party CI run by someone using it in production and really really cares
about it's quality and maintenance in the tree.

Matt Riedemann