[openstack-dev] [Nova] Review guidelines for API patches

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 13 01:58:40 UTC 2014

On 6/12/2014 5:58 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com
> <mailto:mikal at stillhq.com>> wrote:
>
>     In light of the recent excitement around quota classes and the
>     floating ip pollster, I think we should have a conversation about the
>     review guidelines we'd like to see for API changes proposed against
>     nova. My initial proposal is:
>
>       - API changes should have an associated spec
>

> +1
>
>       - API changes should not be merged until there is a tempest change to
>     test them queued for review in the tempest repo
>

> +1
>
> Chris

We do have some API change guidelines here [1].  I don't want to go
overboard on every change and require a spec if it's not necessary, i.e.
if it falls into the 'generally ok' list in that wiki.  But if it's
something that's not documented as a supported API (so it's completely
new) and is pervasive (going into novaclient so it can be used in some
other service), then I think that warrants some spec consideration so we
don't miss something.

To compare, this [2] is an example of something that is updating an
existing API but I don't think warrants a blueprint since I think it
falls into the 'generally ok' section of the API change guidelines.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/APIChangeGuidelines
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/99443/

Matt Riedemann