[openstack-dev] [qa] Meaning of 204 from DELETE apis

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 21:17:23 UTC 2014

Tempest has a number of tests in various services for deleting objects
that mostly return 204. Many, but not all, of these tests go on to check
that the resource was actually deleted but do so in different ways.
Sometimes they go into a timeout loop waiting for a GET on the object to
fail. Sometimes they immediately call DELETE again or GET and assert
that it fails. According to what I can see about the HTTP "spec", 204
should mean that the object was deleted. So is waiting for something to
disappear unnecessary? Is immediate assertion wrong? Does this behavior
vary service to service? We should be as consistent about this as
possible but I am not sure what the expected behavior of all services
actually is.

  -David