[openstack-dev] [nova] is the cpu feature check in _compare_cpu() valid

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Jun 12 20:27:09 UTC 2014

In nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py the _compare_cpu() function checks the
cpu features using self._conn.compareCPU().

Is this actually valid?  The kvm processes don't seem to have the
"--cpu" option specified, so we should get a compatible subset of cpu
features from qemu.  If that's the case then the host cpu features
shouldn't really matter, right?

We're running Havana and hitting live-migration issues between Sandy
Bridge and Ivy Bridge due to some differences in the host processor
flags.  Just wondering what the expected behaviour is.

Chris