[openstack-dev] Gate proposal - drop Postgresql configurations in the gate

Gordon Chung chungg at ca.ibm.com
Thu Jun 12 19:05:46 UTC 2014

> If someone can point me to a case where we've actually found this kind
> of bug with tempest / devstack, that would be great. I've just *never*
> seen it. I was the one that did most of the fixing for pg support in
> Nova, and have helped other projects as well, so I'm relatively familiar
> with the kinds of fails we can discover. The ones that Julien pointed
> really aren't likely to be exposed in our current system.
>
> Which is why I think we're mostly just burning cycles on the existing
> approach for no gain.

not sure if this would get caught in mysql strict mode but we caught some
differences between mysql/postgres in Ceilometer as well. ie.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1256318

personally, if resources weren't constrained i'd prefer both but out of
curiosity, what was the reasoning for choosing to continue gating against
mysql only rather than postgres only? is it known that mysql is the
typical choice for openstack deployments?

cheers,
gordon chung
openstack, ibm software standards