[openstack-dev] Gate proposal - drop Postgresql configurations in the gate

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jun 12 18:08:12 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 01:22 PM, Tim Bell wrote:
> [...]

We're hitting a couple of inflection points.

1) We're basically at capacity for the unit work that we can do. Which
means it's time to start making decisions if we believe everything we
currently have running is more important than the things we aren't
currently testing.

Everyone wants multinode testing in the gate. It would be impossible to
support that given current resources.

2) We're far past the inflection point of people actually debugging jobs
when they go wrong.

The gate is backed up (currently to 24hrs) because there are bugs in
OpenStack. Those are popping up at a rate much faster than the number of
people who are willing to spend any time on them. And often they are
popping up in configurations that we're not all that familiar with.

Landing a gating job comes with maintenance. Maintenance in looking into
failures, and not just running recheck. So there is an overhead to
testing this many different configurations.

I think #2 is just as important to realize as #1. As such I think we
need to get to the point where there are a relatively small number of
configurations that Infra/QA support, and beyond that every job needs
sponsors. And if the job success or # of uncategorized fails go past
some thresholds, we demote them to non-voting, and if you are non-voting
for > 1 month, you get demoted to experimental (or some specific
timeline, details to be sorted).

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague