[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][ceilometer][glance][all] Loading clients from a CONF object

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jun 12 11:18:57 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 08:12 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> On 2014-06-11, 7:52 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>>
>> Honestly, I really like
>>
>> [nova]
>>
>> better than
>>
>> [clients_nova]
>>
>> And as we're going to have to live with this for a while, I'd rather use
>> the more clear version of this in keystone instead of the Heat stanzas.
>>

> What about [novaclient] or [nova_client] ?
>
> I'm concerned about the [nova] section being (one day) overloaded with
> options unrelated to the actual nova client configuration. Although my
> concern could be wrong.

I feel like you need to put your opperator hat on when it comes to conf
files. Nova is the compute service. Talking to nova is doing nova
things. Nova_client has no real meaning, and it actually gets kind of
confusing what's a client in an openstack cloud.

Because neutron is a nova client, nova is a neutron / glance client /
cinder client, glance is a swift client.

So that subtlety makes sense to people that spend time reading code. But
from an Ops perspective, seems to just add a layer of confusion.

The config file should be a view that makes sense from configuring a
system by someone that's not reading the code. Not just a reflection of
the code structure dejour that parses it.

Which is why I think [nova] makes sense.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net