[openstack-dev] [rally] Proposal to reduce amount of conf options

Boris Pavlovic bpavlovic at mirantis.com
Thu Jun 12 10:56:11 UTC 2014

Hi all,

At this moment in rally we have for almost every benchmark scenario (or at
least service) bunch of CONF options.
That are used to setup pool interval and pre pool pause. Here is the
section:
https://github.com/stackforge/rally/blob/master/etc/rally/rally.conf.sample#L142-L293

If default values works for you then you are happy, but if your cloud is
faster or slower then you'll need probably to change all these parameters
=> which is painful operation.

I would like to proposal to have just one configuration option called
"cloud_speed" or something like that, all other conf options related to pre
pool and pause before pooling will be removed and actually just calculated
from "cloud_speed". So it will be quite simple to setup all pooling
intervals updating only one parameter.

Btw if we will have only one argument, we can make some method that will
automatically adjust it before running benchmark.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic