[openstack-dev] [Nova][QA] Disabling the v3 API tests in the gate

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 05:40:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> As part of debugging all the bugs that have been plaguing the gate the past
> couple of weeks one of the things that came up is that we're still running
> the
> v3 API tests in the gate. AIUI at summit Nova decided that the v3 API test
> won't
> exist as a separate major version. So I'm not sure there is much value in
> continuing to run the API tests.

So the v3 API won't exist as a separate major version, but I think its very
important we keep up with the tempest tests so we don't regress. Over time
these v3 api features will either be ported to v2.1microversions (the vast
majority I expect) or dropped. At that point  they'll be "moved" to tempest
testing v2.1microversions.

 But whatever we do we'll need to test against v2 (which we're stuck with
for a very long time) and v2.1microversions (rolling possible backwards
incompatible changes to the v2 api) for quite a while.

> in motivator for doing this is the total run time of tempest, the v3 tests
> add ~7-10min of time to the gating jobs right now. [1] (which is just a
> time
> test, not how it'll be implemented) While this doesn't seem like much it
> actually would make a big difference in our total throughput. Every little
> bit
> counts. There are probably some other less quantifiable benefits to
> removing the
> extra testing like for example slightly decreasing the load on nova in an
> already stressed environment like the gating nodes.
>
> So I'd like to propose that we disable running the v3 API tests in the
> gate. I
> was thinking we would keep the tests around in tree for as long as there
> was
> a v3 API in any supported nova branch, but instead of running them in the
> gate
> just have a nightly bit-rot job on the tests and also add it to the
> experimental
> queue.

I'd really prefer we don't take this route, but its better than nothing.
Incidentally the v3 tempest api tests have in the past found race
conditions which did theoretically occur in the v2 api as well. Just the
different architecture exposed them a bit better.

Chris