[openstack-dev] use of the word certified

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Jun 12 04:00:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> wrote:
> > Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> sane

> >> I disagree. I think the word has substantially more connotations than
> >> simply "this has been tested".
> >>

> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-June/036963.html
> >
> > I agree with Mark (and Anita's original rationale) that the "certified"
> > term conveys a level of guarantee we, as an open source project, can't
> > really back. Using softer terminology ("tested", "CI tested"...) is
> > therefore preferable.
> >
> > I also don't buy the argument that "others" would abuse that terminology
> > if we didn't occupy it ourselves. The only body that could efficiently
> > "certify" would be the Board of Directors of the OpenStack Foundation,
> > setting up some official certification program backed with the trademark
> > usage. Anyone else would just "certify" under their own, independent,
> > non-OpenStack program. I don't think us using that terminology would
> > prevent them from doing that anyway. As long as the board makes sure the
> > trademark is not abused in such 3rd-party "certification" programs, I
> > think we are ok...
> >
> > --
> > Thierry Carrez (ttx)
>
> +1
>
> Doug

​
Thanks everybody for the feedback on this, I appreciate it.  Like I said
initially, I don't have much of a stake in this but there were folks that
did so I wanted to give everyone a chance to discuss here publicly on the
ML.  Whether I agree with the opinions stated in this thread or not (and
for a number of them I really don't) doesn't matter.

Maybe since what we're talking about is "CI Tested" maybe we should just
call it that and be done.