[openstack-dev] [TripleO] ongoing resize issues

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Wed Jun 11 18:25:22 UTC 2014

A few months back several of us were consistently hitting file system
resize issues. After making a slight change to diskimage-builder to fix
[1] things seem to have gotten better... but I still hear people
occasionally mentioning issues.

On the ext4 mailing list it appears there are still some ongoing issues
with the resize2fs code. A recent thread indicates a new fuzzer may help
find some of these cases [2]. Perhaps this is good news given that we
rely heavily on this code when resizing root partitions. This is a
normal cloudy sort of thing (cloud-init does this!) but our parameters
in TripleO are most likely off the beaten path so perhaps we hit issues
more often.

If you find these sorts of issues please report them. Also, when I've
hit resize issues in the past I've found that it is usually reproducible
if I retry it using the same disk image (file system layout).

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/diskimage-builder/+bug/1280709
[2] http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=140134096120976&w=2