[openstack-dev] [neutron][ipv6] Support ipv6 RA in neutron

Collins, Sean Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com
Wed Jun 11 15:14:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 09:07:59AM EDT, Robert Li (baoli) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was mistakenly reusing the Blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ipv6-radvd-ra to draft up the ipv6 RA support in neutron. I apologize for any confusion that this may have caused. To correct it, I created a new blueprint https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/neutron-ipv6-ra and linked it to a neutron spec https://review.openstack.org/92164.
>
> The basic idea behind this blueprint is that neutron dhcp service as it is can hand out IPv6 addresses either in IPv6 only data network or in a dual stack data network. But the RA service including SLAAC support is missing in neutron. This service is important. Without RA, VMs won’t be able to automatically install default routes. Without SLAAC, a deployment that prefers SLAAC won’t be able to do it with neutron. The BP takes a straightforward approach to achieve that without requiring significant change to the existing dhcp service.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.

To be clear, you are still proposing that we remove the IPv6 subnet
attributes that have been merged, and replaced with a single attribute,
yes?

Would you be willing to set aside the single attribute API proposal, and
instead work on fixing dnsmasq and adding support for rtadvd, and
supporting the two attribute blueprint that the community developed and
merged?

--
Sean M. Collins