[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Debugging Devstack Neutron with Pycharm

Henry Gessau gessau at cisco.com
Wed Jun 11 11:41:47 UTC 2014

Gal Sagie wrote:
> I am trying to debug devstack Neutron with Pycharm, i have found here
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronDevelopment#How_to_debug_Neutron_.28and_other_OpenStack_projects_probably_.29)
>
> That i need to change the neutron server code to
> this=>*eventlet.monkey_patch()* To: *eventlet.monkey_patch(os=False,
> thread=False)*
I don't need to do this. But I do need to go into the PyCharm settings under
Python Debugger and enable "Gevent compatible debugging".

> I have done so, debug seems to run, but when i am trying to initiate
> commands from the CLI i get this:
>
> gal at ubuntu:~/devstack$ neutron net-list
> Connection to neutron failed: Maximum attempts reached

Are you sure you have sourced openrc correctly for the credentials?

> (the server seems to run ok...)
>
> Any help is appreciated as i am trying to learn and understand main flows by
> debugging the code locally.

First I start devstack in offline mode.
    OFFLINE=True ./stack.sh

Once it is running I go to the neutron window in screen.
There I stop neutron-server with ctrl-C, and press up-arrow to view the start
command.

To run neutron-server in the PyCharm debugger edit the Run/Debug configuration
with the following settings:

Script: /usr/local/bin/neutron-server
Script params: --config-file /etc/neutron/neutron.conf --config-file
/etc/neutron/plugins/ml2/ml2_conf.ini
    # I got this from the screen window where I stopped neutron
Working directory: /opt/stack/neutron

Now restart neutron from PyCharm instead of screen.