[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Using more than the first disk on a node

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:39:02 UTC 2014

Hi

I'm looking at how to make cinder LVM on tripleo make use of a disk
other than the OS disk. There are lots of good reasons for this, but
they can be summarised as 'a guest running dd should not bring down
your entire cloud'.

My problem is that tripleo doesn't seem to have any concept of
hardware discovery that I can see (please do point me at anything that
I might have missed), and I've no good ideas how to express the
configuration in a way that works well across  hetrogenious hardware,
non-deterministic device enumeration and similar problems. I'm
therefore asking for suggestions, best practice from other deployment
systems current and old, and any other input you feel might be useful.

Production swift has a near identical need and there doesn't seem to
be a solution there either, so it makes sense to come up with
something that works for both.

Thanks

--
Duncan Thomas