[openstack-dev] [oslo] versioning and releases

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Jun 10 21:27:56 UTC 2014

On Jun 10, 2014, at 5:19 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

>> The new CI system can create packages as
>> Python wheels and publish them to the appropriate servers, which means
>> projects will no longer need to refer explicitly to pre-release
>> tarballs.
>
> The details are a bit more nuanced here - pip won't install alpha
> libraries unless you explicitly request them with a command line flag to
> install any alphas available or you explicitly require the alpha
> version.

It doesn’t have to explicitly require the alpha, it just has to include pre-releases
so stuff like >=1.2a0,<1.3 would include 1.2a0 and higher, and “less than 1.3”.
Unfortunately that’s a bit wonky still because 1.3a0 is technically < 1.3 so
it’d match too. At least until we finish implementing PEP 440.

Donald Stufft