[openstack-dev] [marconi] Reconsidering the unified API model

Janczuk, Tomasz tomasz.janczuk at hp.com
Tue Jun 10 21:23:45 UTC 2014

> Either those semantics are fundamental requirements for this API, or the
requirement to have support for traditional message brokers is the
fundamental requirement. We can't have it both ways.

This captures the key trade off well. I would generalize it a bit to say
that the larger the scope of the HTTP API, the fewer implementation
choices exist, and the harder it is to provide a performant system; that
holds regardless if the implementation is based on an existing technology
or a brand new one.

With respect to that trade off, I am in favor of a minimalist HTTP
contract with queue based semantics (SQS like) that provides more
implementation choices and more room for optimization.

Tomasz Janczuk
@tjanczuk
HP