[openstack-dev] [TC] [Murano] Follow up on cross-project session

Ruslan Kamaldinov rkamaldinov at mirantis.com
Tue Jun 10 18:16:29 UTC 2014

Hi community and TC members!

First a little bit of history:

Murano applied for incubation in February 2014 [1]. TC discussion [2]
finished the following resolution (quote from ttx):
"Murano is slightly too far up the stack at this point to meet the
"measured progression of openstack as a whole" requirement. We'll
facilitate collaboration in that space by setting up a cross-project
session to advance this at the next design summit."

Thanks to the TC, we had two official cross-project sessions at the
Atlanta summit. We also had a follow-up session with a more focused
group of people.

-------------

I would like to share the results of these sessions with the community
and with the TC members. The official etherpads from the session is
located here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/solum-murano-heat-session-results

Now, more details. Here is the outcome of the first two (official) sessions:
* We addressed questions about use-cases and user roles of Murano [3]
* We clarified that Murano is already using existing projects and will
use other projects (such as Heat and Mistral) to the fullest extent
possible to avoid any functional duplication
* We reached a consensus and vision on non-overlapping scopes of
Murano and Solum

Here is the link to the session etherpad [4].

Our follow-up session was very productive. The goal of this session
was to define and document a clear scope for each project [5]. This is
the main document in regards to the goals set by TC in response to
Murano incubation request. We identified a clear scope for each
project and possible points for integration and collaboration:
* Application Development - Solum
* Application Catalog/Composition - Murano (see
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wGy9S94l3Q for details)
* Application Deployment/Configuration - Heat

We hope that we addressed major concerns raised at the TC meeting [2]
initiated by the previous Murano incubation request. We will now focus
on stabilizing and maturing the project itself with the end goal of
again applying for incubation by the end of the Juno cycle.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/027736.html
[2] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2014/tc.2014-03-04-20.02.log.txt
[3] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/wGy9S94l3Q
[4] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/9XQ7Q2NQdv