[openstack-dev] [marconi] Reconsidering the unified API model

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Jun 10 11:20:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 09 2014, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> We went with a single large storage API in ceilometer initially, but
> we had some discussions at the Juno summit about it being a bad
> decision because it resulted in storing some data like alarm
> definitions in database formats that just didn't make sense for that.
> Julien and Eoghan may want to fill in more details.
>
> Keystone has separate backends for tenants, tokens, the catalog, etc.,
> so you have precedent there for splitting up the features in a way
> that makes it easier for driver authors and for building features on
> appropriate backends.

+1

Use the best kind of storage that feats your pattern. If SQL is a
solution for part of your features use that. If it's not, use something
else.

Don't try to shoehorn all your feature set in a single driver system. We
did that for Ceilometer basically, and it has been proven to be a
mistake.

--
Julien Danjou
;; Free Software hacker