[openstack-dev] [ironic]Adding support for ManagedFRU in the IPMI driver

Lemieux, Luc Luc.Lemieux at ca.kontron.com
Mon Jun 9 19:55:55 UTC 2014

Hi I work for Kontron a hardware company that is a member of the foundation since this year.

One of our blade product hold 2 complete servers (I7 Haswell chip, 16Gb ram, 120 Gb SSD each) that are managed by a single IPMI BMC (Board Management Controller) using the IPMI "ManagedFRU" concept. This concept allows both servers to be individually managed by the one management IPMI address.

However this concept was not thought of in the Nova Baremetal driver and probably is not also in Ironic.

This Managed FRU concept is common within the ATCA hardware for expansion cards uTCA and we think that this abstraction might become more and more present in future hardware that wants to provide as much processing as possible in as little a format as possible. Our SYMkloud box offers up to 9 nodes like I described earlier (so 18 I7 Haswell) in a 2U rack form factor.

Where should I start to look to see if adding the ability in Ironic to detect throught the bootstrap if a server is of type "ManagedFRU", that is more than one server for the same IPMI address, then use "Redirect" type IPMI commands (so a special driver I guess) to individually manage these server is a feature that could be useful in the long run for Ironic.

We as a company want to get involved in the community and see this as a possible contribution that we could make.

Thank you!

Luc Lemieux | Software Designer, Application Ready Platforms | Kontron Canada | T 450 437 4661 | E luc.lemieux at ca.kontron.com<mailto:luc.lemieux at ca.kontron.com>
Kontron Canada Inc
4555 Rue Ambroise-Lafortune
Boisbriand (Québec) J7H 0A4

L'information contenue dans le présent document est la propriété de Kontron Canada Inc. et est divulguée en toute confidentialité. Cette information ne doit pas être utilisée, divulguée ou reproduite sans le consentement écrit explicite de Kontron Canada Inc. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu et avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez contacter l'originateur et supprimer toute copie.

The information contained in this document is confidential and property of Kontron Canada Inc. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited without express written consent of Kontron Canada Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original message and enclosed attachments.