[openstack-dev] [nova] Arbitrary "extra specs" for compute nodes?

Joe Cropper cropper.joe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:28:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Chris Friesen
<chris.friesen at windriver.com> wrote:
> On 06/07/2014 12:30 AM, Joe Cropper wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I was wondering if there was any such mechanism in the compute node
>> structure to hold arbitrary key-value pairs, similar to flavors'
>> "extra_specs" concept?
>>
>> It appears there are entries for things like pci_stats, stats and
>> recently added extra_resources -- but these all tend to have more
>> specific usages vs. just arbitrary data that may want to be maintained
>> about the compute node over the course of its lifetime.
>>
>> Unless I'm overlooking an existing construct for this, would this be
>> something that folks would welcome a Juno blueprint for--i.e., adding
>> extra_specs style column with a JSON-formatted string that could be
>> loaded as a dict of key-value pairs?
>

> If nothing else, you could put the compute node in a host aggregate and
> assign metadata to it.

Yeah, I recognize this could be done, but I think that would be using
the host aggregate metadata a little too loosely since the metadata
I'm after is really tied explicitly to the compute node.  This would
present too many challenges when someone would want to use host
aggregates and the compute node-specific metadata.