[openstack-dev] use of the word certified

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:50:08 UTC 2014

On 6 June 2014 18:29, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
> So there are certain words that mean certain things, most don't, some do.
>
> If words that mean certain things are used then some folks start using
> the word and have expectations around the word and the OpenStack
> Technical Committee and other OpenStack programs find themselves on the
> hook for behaviours that they didn't agree to.
>
> Currently the word under discussion is "certified" and its derivatives:
> certification, certifying, and others with root word "certificate".
>
> This came to my attention at the summit with a cinder summit session
> with the one of the cerficiate words in the title. I had thought my
> point had been made but it appears that there needs to be more
> discussion on this. So let's discuss.
>
> Let's start with the definition of certify:
> cer·ti·fy
> verb (used with object), cer·ti·fied, cer·ti·fy·ing.
> 1. to attest as certain; give reliable information of; confirm: He
> certified the truth of his claim.

So the cinder team are attesting that a set of tests have been run
against a driver: a certified driver.

> 3. to guarantee; endorse reliably: to certify a document with an
> official seal.

We (the cinder) team) are guaranteeing that the driver has been
tested, in at least one configuration, and found to pass all of the
tempest tests. This is a far better state than we were at 6 months
ago, where many drivers didn't even pass a smoke test.

> 5. to award a certificate to (a person) attesting to the completion of a
> course of study or the passing of a qualifying examination.

The cinder cert process is pretty much an exam.

I think the work certification covers exactly what we are doing. Give
cinder-core are the people on the hook for any cinder problems
(including vendor specific ones), and the cinder core are the people
who get bad-mouthed when there are problems (including vendor specific
ones), I think this level of certification gives us value.