[openstack-dev] [nova] AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation scheduler filter - bug, or new feature proposal?

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 11:12:17 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

We have a need to be able to dedicate a specific host aggregate to a list
of tenants/projects. If the aggregate is marked as such, the aggregate may
only be used by that specified list of tenants and those tenants may only
be scheduled to that aggregate.

The AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation filter almost does what we need - it
pushes all new instances created by a specified tenant to the designated
aggregate. However, it also seems to still see that aggregate as available
for other tenants.

The description in the documentation [1] states: "If a host is in an
aggregate that has the metadata key filter_tenant_id it only creates
instances from that tenant (or list of tenants)."

This would seem to us either as a code bug, or a documentation bug?

If the filter is working as intended, then I'd like to propose working on a
patch to the filter which has an additional metadata field (something like
'filter_tenant_exclusive') which - when 'true' - will consider the
filter_tenant_id list to be the only projects/tenants which may be
scheduled onto the host aggregate, and the only host aggregate which the
list of projects/tenants which may be scheduled onto.

Note that there has been some similar work done with [2] and [3]. [2]
actually works as we expect, but as is noted in the gerrit comments it
seems rather wasteful to add a new filter when we could use the existing
filter as a base. [3] is a much larger framework to facilitate end-users
being able to request a whole host allocation - while this could be a nice
addition, it's overkill for what we're looking for. We're happy to
facilitate this with a simple admin-only allocation.

So - should I work on a nova-specs proposal for a change, or should I just
log a bug against either nova or docs? :) Guidance would be appreciated.

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/config-reference/content/section_compute-scheduler.html
[2]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/multi-tenancy-isolation-only-aggregates