[openstack-dev] [ironic] Is ironic support EXSI when boot a bare metal

LeslieWang wqyuwss at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 03:11:20 UTC 2014

--------------
Hi Devananda,
Thanks for your reply. Your link shows how to create a VM through vSphere. What we are doing is to how to deploy vSphere to bare metal server, so that automation can be from installation, deployment, to configuration, to VM creation.
Hi Chris,
We do use diskimage-builder to create ubuntu image, kernel, initfs, and deploy ubuntu through Ironic API successful. However, seems like diskimage-builder doesn't support vmware, so we don't know how to extract vmware kernel, initfs from vmware image, such as http://partnerweb.vmware.com/programs/vmdkimage/debian-2.6.32-i686.vmdk. So wonder to know whether anyone has done this before.
Best RegardsLeslie
Hi Chao,
The ironic ssh driver does support vmware. See https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/ironic/drivers/modules/ssh.py#L69-L89. Have you seen the Triple-O tools, mainly Disk Image Builder (https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder). This is how I build images I use for testing. I have not tested the vmware parts of ironic as I do not have a vmware server to test with, others have tested it.
Hope this helps.
Chris Krelle--NobodyCam

ChaoYan,

Are you asking about using vmware as a test platform for developing
Ironic, or as a platform on which to run a production workload managed
by Ironic? I do not understand your question -- why would you use
Ironic to manage a VMWare cluster, when there is a separate Nova
driver specifically designed for managing vmware? While I am not
familiar with it, I believe more information may be found here:
  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide

Best,
Devananda