[openstack-dev] Python API of python-.+client

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Sun Jun 8 15:07:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Michael Bright <mjbrightfr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested to know what is the status of the Python API of the
> python-novaclient, and the Python APIs of other OpenStack clients.
>
> On the github page it is written:
>     "There's also a complete Python API, but it has not yet been
> documented."
>
> Having written some bash scripts to automate some tasks this week I thought
> I should really have done this in Python, but then
> when I see this comment this discourages me - but more importantly raises
> many questions.
> There are also few examples available on the web for these APIs - though I
> have used them in the past for some v. small scripts.
>
> I ask these questions about python-novaclient, but am also interested in how
> they apply to other OpenStack clients.
>
>   * Are people actually using the Python API ?
>     If so, is it as stable, or more or less stable than the command-line
> client ?
>     If not why not - are you using other APIs, or just bash scripting around
> the command-line client ?
>
>   * What are the plans, if any, to improve the situation ?
>     Is it just a question of someone stepping up and writing documentation ?
>     Is there a clear idea of what needs to be done ?
>     Are there bugs open against the documentation for this API (Sorry not to
> spend the time to search right now ...)

There's currently a new effort going on right now to reimagine all of
those separate per-service tools into one complete SDK (libraries,
CLIs, docs, examples, etc in one place), but it's early in the
process. https://github.com/stackforge/python-openstacksdk and
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PythonOpenStackSDK have some details,
and we're actively meeting on Tuesdays at 1900, and hang out in the
#openstack-sdks room.